PLACING THE OBJECT IN YOUR MIND is the first of the 9 stages of meditation- You have learned the instructions, and are on the road at last.
- BRINGING THE MIND BACK – Your monkey mind at this point keeps forgetting what it is doing, and you spend more time off the object then on it.
- BRIDGING THE GAPS – Your mind now stays mostly on its object, with only brief patches where it wanders.
- HOLDING TIGHT – Here your mind stays on the object without wandering at all.
- DISCIPLINE – You win the battle against agitation!
- GETTING QUIET/QUIETING DOWN – You conquer mental dullness!
- COMPLETELY CALM – Now you have control over the subtlest forms of dullness or agitation.
- SINGLE POINTED – Just a tiny bit of effort, and your there.
- PERFECT BALANCE – Effortless, like breathing.
(By Lame Christie McNally *The Tibetan Book of Meditation*) 9 Stages of Meditation